John McCain is the senior U.S. Senator who was the presidential nominee of the Republican Party in the United States. Born on August 29, 1936, he is currently looked upon as a personality who will bring about a phenomenal change in the economy, and who would work towards the benefits of American citizens. He had some difficult times in his early years.
- John McCain was the Presidential nominee in the 2008 U.S. Presidential elections.
- He was born at the Coco Solo Naval Air Station located in Panama. He was introduced to the navy, as his grandfather and father were both from the same field of work. He was born to John McCain Jr. and Roberta McCain.
- He displayed very high levels of IQ, although he was known for breaking the rules. This was when he joined the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis.
- As an ensign, he began training as a naval aviator. He was thought to be a little reckless at this job, and this was probably because during the mid 1960s, his planes crashed. Fortunately, John did not suffer from any major injuries.
- He had a near escape in 1967, where he managed to escape from a burning jet. Here, he was hurt in the chest area and the legs, when a bomb exploded. This happened in the 1967 'USS Forrestal Fire.'
- Unfortunately, he went through turbulent times later on. He suffered fractures when he tried to eject himself from an aircraft during a bombing mission. This subsequently led to his capture by the North Vietnamese. Here, he turned Prisoner of War. John was tortured but he refused to reveal any information. He remained as a prisoner for over 5 years in North Vietnam, till his release on the 14th of March, 1973.
- His war time injuries made it difficult for him to even raise his hands above his head. However, in 1983, John was chosen to lead a group of Republican representatives.
- By 1987, he started off on his career by entering the Senate. He defeated Richard Kimball.
- In the year 1997, he became the chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee.
- After 2 years in the U.S. Senate, he began his third year in the month of November 1988. By 2005, McCain was soon leading the Gang of 14 in the Senate.
- On 25th April 2007, he declared his decision to run for the President of the United States in New Hampshire. His experience in the military service, a prisoner of war, and the basic recognition he has gained with time are some of his biggest strengths.
- He is known for his straightforward behavior, but with a short temper. However, there are times he has apologized for his remarks, and this was witnessed when he said something against the Clinton's.
- In 1965, he married Carol Shepp. He adopted her two children, and had a daughter with her. In 1980, he divorced Carol and dated Cindy Lou Hensley. He then had a daughter followed by a son with Cindy. They further adopted a girl from an orphanage.
The United States Presidential Election of 2008 was held on the 4th of November, and had other nominations as well. The Democratic Party nominated Barack Obama, whereas the Libertarian Party nominated Bob Barr. The Green Party nominated Cynthia McKinney, and the Constitution party nominated Chuck Baldwin. Ralph Nader was an independent candidate.