Even when a person is overweight, he can attain fame through hard work and talent. The world of entertainment has such people, who have no qualms about being overweight and have touched the heights of success…
Being fat is not always bad as in the case of some people. History is replete with many people who have become famous for some thing or the other (some for weird reasons also). Interestingly, people who are fat have also gained popularity amongst masses, not because of their weight but because of their talents.
Famous Fat People in History
The below is a list of people, who once upon a time were fat but have lost weight and are still popular for being fat a long time ago. Let’s take a look at these people who are overweight and famous.
- Oprah Winfrey – Oprah Winfrey, born on January 29, 1954 is a famous American host, producer and philanthropist who hosted her talk show ‘The Oprah Winfrey Show’. Due to a thyroid problem she experienced a drastic change in her weight and added 40 pounds to her existing 160 pounds. On one occasion she was heard saying ‘I felt like a fat cow‘. In the year 1997, she weighed 237 pounds after which she trained under Bob Greene, a personal trainer, in order to lose weight.
- Late Chris Farley – Christopher Crosby Farley popularly known as Chris Farley (born: 15 February 1964, died 18 December 1997) was an American comedian and actor. Chris worked for five years in Saturday Night Live (1975), a comedy show and also acted in movies like Wayne’s World (1992), Coneheads (1993), Billy Madison and Tommy Boy (both in 1995). Though he had a big girth, he was physically very active and played football during high school and rugby in college. He suffered from obesity and slowly became prone to drug addiction. Chris Farley died at the age of 33 due to an overdose of heroin and cocaine. According to a coroner, at the time of his death Chris Farley weighed approximately 296 pounds.
- Kelly Osbourne – Kelly Osbourne, the daughter of Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne was born on 27 October 1984. She is a fashion designer, actress, singer and model. This reality star once weighed 102 pounds, but lost weight (42 pounds) by following regular exercise and cut in her calorie intake. Once a size 14 and weighing up to 11.5 stone (73 kilograms approximately), Kelly lost up to 2 stone (approximately 12 kilograms) for an appearance on ‘Dancing with the Stars’, the American version of ‘Strictly Come Dancing’, a dance show, in 2007. She has maintained her figure since then.
- Rosie O’ Donnell – Born on 21 March 1962, Rosie O’ Donnell is America’s famous stand-up comedian, singer, actress and media-personality. At the age of 18, she discontinued college and did shows like ‘Gimme a Break’ (1981). She produced a show called ‘Stand-up Spotlight’ which she also hosted. She started her own talk show named ‘The Rosie O’ Donnell Show’ in 1996.
- Late Anna Nicole Smith – Anna Nicole Smith, christened Vickie Lynn Marshall (born 28 November 1967, died 8 February 2007), was a popular American actress, model and television personality. She became a model at 20 years of age and has appeared on the cover of the 1992 March issue of the magazine Playboy. She has also endorsed for Guess jeans and a Swedish clothing company Hennes & Mauritz. She became Playmate of the Year in 1992 for Playboy. In the same year, she weighed 155 pounds. In 1996, she reached 224 pounds but lost a considerable amount of weight (138 pounds) in 1997. She gained weight again in 2002 but returned to her original weight in 2005 (the weight during her modeling days).
- John Goodman – Popular as Dan Conner of Roseanne, John Goodman is a greatly admired TV and stage actor. Born on June 20, 1952, Goodman rose to fame with Roseanne (a situation comedy show). He also made appearances in many movies like Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?, Everybody’s All American and Raising Arizona to name a few. He has also lent his voice to a number of Disney movies.
A Few Other Popular Personalities
Given below is a list of some more popular fat people.
- Late Walter Hudson (also known as Whooping Walter)
- Cedric Antonio Kyles (Cedric the Entertainer)
- Kathleen Doyle Bates (Kathy Bates)
- Carnie Wilson
- Jonah Hill
- Kevin James
- Dana Elaine Owens (Queen Latifah)
- Late Christopher George Latore Wallace (The Notorious B.I.G.)
- Camryn Manheim
- Kirsten Louise Alley (Kirstie Alley)
- Fat Joe (Joseph Antonio Cartagena), American rapper
These well-known fat people gained popularity despite their ‘weakness’ and proved to the world that nothing stops hard work and perseverance.